How a news story ids selected and written? Explain style of news story with suitable examples.
The process of selecting and writing a news story typically involves several steps:
- Identifying the news: This involves monitoring sources of news, such as wire services, press releases, social media, and interviews, to find out about events and issues that may be newsworthy.
- Researching the story: Once a news event or issue has been identified, journalists research the story by gathering more information, conducting interviews, and verifying facts.
- Writing the story: Once the research is complete, journalists write the story, following the principles of good journalism, such as accuracy, fairness, and objectivity.
- Editing and fact-checking: The story is then edited and fact-checked to ensure that it is free from errors and conforms to the organization’s style guide.
- Publishing the story: Once the story has been approved, it is published on the news organization’s website or in print media.
The style of a news story typically follows a specific format, known as the inverted pyramid. This means that the most important information is presented at the beginning of the story, followed by supporting details and background information. The idea is to provide readers with the most important information first, in case they do not read the entire story. Here is an example of a news story that follows the inverted pyramid style:
Headline: New COVID-19 Variant Discovered in Brazil
Lead: Scientists in Brazil have discovered a new variant of the coronavirus that appears to be more contagious and resistant to current vaccines. The variant, known as P.2, has been found in patients in several regions of Brazil and is causing concern among health officials.
Supporting details: The P.2 variant has several mutations in the spike protein of the coronavirus, which is the part of the virus that allows it to enter human cells. This makes the virus more effective at infecting people and may make it more difficult for vaccines to be effective. Health officials are closely monitoring the situation and have urged people to continue following public health guidelines, such as wearing masks and practicing social distancing.
Background information: This is not the first time that a new variant of the coronavirus has been discovered. Other variants, such as the ones first detected in the UK and South Africa, have also been found to be more contagious and resistant to vaccines. Scientists are working to develop new vaccines and treatments to combat these variants and are urging people to continue following public health guidelines to slow the spread of the virus.
In conclusion, the selection and writing of a news story involves several steps, including identifying the news, researching the story, writing the story, editing and fact-checking, and publishing the story. The style of a news story typically follows the inverted pyramid format, which presents the most important information first, followed by supporting details and background information.